SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jul 3 12:19:15 WST 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:56, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Make the archive only readable by PLUG subscribers.

Several times I've been Googling for stuff and found the answer on
PLUG's archives, not knowing it's there despite having been subscribed
since Day One.

I don't think we should be removing that resource from the Web.

I don't think we should let spammers crimp our lifestyle.

I would prefer that any email addresses in the mail were obfuscated, or
in the worst case removed. It's programmatically easy to do stuff like
this, for which manual recovery is simple but automatic detection and
correction is not:

    plug at leon.brooks.fdns.net  ->

    plug%leon,brooks,fdns,net  -or-

    gulp at noel.skoorb.sndf.ten  -or-

    plug at leon.brooks.fdnsREMOVE.netME

    plug at leon.brooks.fdns.network

    leon at cyberknights.com.au  ->

    leon at cyberknights.company.australia

...and so on.

One suggestion which SLPWA's esteemed President of Vice is interested in
is a copyrightable email address, e.g. one containing a haiku such as
the example I posted to SLPWA's members list. You simply sue spammers
that use it for a copyright violation.

Cheers; Leon