SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jul 3 12:21:54 WST 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:07, Sol wrote:
> If it is it might be a simple solution for the plug archives and
> illegal hrefs which spam spiders don't read ie:
> wwwDOTcantechDOTnetDOTau/somedir/archivesDOThtml

1. Someone would link to it, game over

2. It would remove those words from Google's reach as well

One idea is to require a specific referrer page, or to blank the actual
addresses if the caller doesn't present an appropriate cookie. This
allows Google and friends to only get at the content but humans to see
real addresses.

> Another possibility might be to use some configuration in the archive
> software (or another archiving application) that interpolates email
> addresses. I've seen this quite a bit on FLOSS web site mailing
> lists. ie:
> sol AT autonomon DOT net

Something less easy to automatically detect and reconstruct would be
good.

Cheers; Leon