[plug] ADSL

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jul 3 15:16:29 WST 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:11:15 +0800
> From: Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] ADSL
>
> > The one that I'm looking closely at is Savtek, they give unlimited
> > bandwidth
> > and is at the high end of the price range but still affordable.
> >
> > Any other suggestions. I would prefer a no contract deal, but .....
>
> Westnet. Good prices, good service, reliable. I signed up for a 6 gig
> plan (I think) and now have considerably larger allownaces than that -
> twice (?)
>
> I'd prefer to be able to sign the dotted line and know that that's what
> I'll damnn well get, but that seems impossible in the ISP business.
>
> This is no contract too, so if they change the deal on me so that it no
> longer fits what I need, I'll just go elsewhere.
>
> Craig Ringer

Are LinuxIT still resellers for Westnet? If so, it could be kept
"in-house".

Here is a question that we have been pondering here, from time to time,
about ADSL; given that ADSL involves (relatively) permanent Internet
connection, and allows concurrent voice calls on the same line, and (I
believe) concurrent fax calls on the same line (Internet and (voice or
fax)), does ADSL allow concurrent Internet connection and dialup
connection to another system? For example, if a phone line has ADSL, can
an Internet connection be maintained, while a dialup connection to
another system (for example, a client that a contractor can dialup
into), is established and maintained, thus running two data calls
simultaneously, without any interaction between the two connections?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."