Parnet and WAIX Private IPs (Was: SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..))

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 3 19:14:56 WST 2003

In message <3F040917.1040409 at wn.com.au>
on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 06:44:39PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> But that begs the question:  Why did the Universities (via Parnet) used
> to be able to access WAIX private IPs?

Yes, they certainly did! Maybe there was a problem but it was
unrecognised, or maybe Optus decided to make a large change to its
operations and started using the same addresses (in which case it
might not want to "undo" the change).

> If AARNet blames Optus, then why doesn't AARNet complain to Optus and
> get them to rectify the problem?  I mean AARNet must throw more than a
> couple of dollars at Optus every year.

Not our problem...mumble, mumble...PARNET2...mumble, mumble? I don't
suppose it's feasible to fly over to QUESTnet and prod someone ;) Didn't
the previous Optus contract with AARNet expire recently? Our provincial
peering arrangements are presumably boring for the people who could make
a difference.