Parnet and WAIX Private IPs (Was: SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..))

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jul 3 19:27:32 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 06:44:39PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> >Only addresses that AARNet are willing to route (hence no
> >mirror.3fl.net). Of course it does include almost all of the public
> >Internet. But it doesn't include WAIX private IPs -> I am told that
> >AARNet blames Optus for that.
> >
> But that begs the question:  Why did the Universities (via Parnet) used
> to be able to access WAIX private IPs?

In the Cameron Hall loft, you are assigned a WAIX private IP, with
which you can get to anywhere on WAIX with a non-private IP. So
somebody (PARNet) is routing the traffic back from real IPs to the
WAIX private IPs. *breathe*

It doesn't make sense that they'll route _back_ to the private IP
space but not within it.

> If AARNet blames Optus, then why doesn't AARNet complain to Optus and
> get them to rectify the problem?

I honestly can't see how on earth PARNet can blame AARnet to blame
Optus... AARNet have nothing to do with WAIX, surely? Wouldn't it
all be in PARNet's domain?

Confuzzled,

Bernard.

--