Parnet and WAIX Private IPs (Was: SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..))

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 3 21:46:03 WST 2003

In message <20030703112731.GA3051 at amidala>
on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 07:27:32PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> In the Cameron Hall loft, you are assigned a WAIX private IP, with
> which you can get to anywhere on WAIX with a non-private IP. So
> somebody (PARNet) is routing the traffic back from real IPs to the
> WAIX private IPs. *breathe*
>
> It doesn't make sense that they'll route _back_ to the private IP
> space but not within it.

I suspect that WAIX is happy to honour PARNet's advertisements of routes
for private addresses but PARNet doesn't pay attention to WAIX's.

> I honestly can't see how on earth PARNet can blame AARnet to blame
> Optus... AARNet have nothing to do with WAIX, surely? Wouldn't it
> all be in PARNet's domain?

I suspect (perhaps this is just my own fantasy land) that since PARNet
provides us with access to various different networks (WAIX, commodity
Internet, and various special academic/computing networks), it has to
satisfy itself with common denominators (and in this case, WAIX comes
off second-best when Optus is in the picture).