[plug] DVD ROM

Milan Pospisil Milan.Pospisil at swantafe.wa.edu.au
Fri Jul 4 13:42:57 WST 2003

Hi Richard,
                   The current setup is like this: hard disk- primary master; CD ROM - primary slave;  CR ROM burner - secondary master and that is all what I have got so far. The original idea was to replace the CD ROM directly vith the DVD ROM ie. as a primary slave, but it is quite likely that driven by curiosity I will start exploring your suggestion.
                                                                                                                                      Regards
                                                                                                                                                    Milan Pospisil

Sounds good. Where are you going to connect it?

By that I mean, I suggest that you connect it as /dev/hdc ie master on the
second IDE controller, so that if you buy a burner, you can connect it as
slave on the second IDE controller, then you can boot from the DVD drive
with either DVD or CD. Some people will say that 2 optical drives should be
on different controllers for max throughput, to prevent underruns etc. My
view is that since the IDE bus runs at the speed of the slowest device on
the controller, it is better to separate the optical drives from the hard
drives, which are lots faster.

Anybody have pressing reasons for a different configuration?

Regards
RichardM