[plug] DVD ROM

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Jul 4 13:55:04 WST 2003

Cool,

Of course it's just a suggestion, but I wish I'd thought things out
properly when I set up my present main machine, because when I boot from CD
it boots the CD-burner, so I can't boot from DVD - whereas, if I'd thought
before I acted ....

I've even deleted the burner from the BIOS, and then I can boot from DVD
and install Linux distro's and Linux finds the burner (YAAAYYY Linux), but
it somehow leaves out a load of symlinks (Mdk 9.0), so I don't do that
anymore ....     ;)

Regards
RichardM
----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 04/07/2003 01:50 PM
-----

                      "Milan Pospisil"
                      <Milan.Pospisil at swantafe        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      .wa.edu.au>                     cc:
                                                      Subject:  Re: [plug] DVD ROM
                      04/07/2003 01:42 PM
                      Please respond to plug

Hi Richard,
                   The current setup is like this: hard disk- primary
master; CD ROM - primary slave;  CR ROM burner - secondary master and that
is all what I have got so far. The original idea was to replace the CD ROM
directly vith the DVD ROM ie. as a primary slave, but it is quite likely
that driven by curiosity I will start exploring your suggestion.
Regards
Milan Pospisil

Sounds good. Where are you going to connect it?

By that I mean, I suggest that you connect it as /dev/hdc ie master on the
second IDE controller, so that if you buy a burner, you can connect it as
slave on the second IDE controller, then you can boot from the DVD drive
with either DVD or CD. Some people will say that 2 optical drives should be
on different controllers for max throughput, to prevent underruns etc. My
view is that since the IDE bus runs at the speed of the slowest device on
the controller, it is better to separate the optical drives from the hard
drives, which are lots faster.

Anybody have pressing reasons for a different configuration?

Regards
RichardM