[plug] Distro Day !!!

indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 4 22:33:19 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:19:42PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:

> Compile time is the biggest issue for Gentoo, and taking too many
> shortcuts will not show Gentoo's performance off to its best, which
> would be a criticism if you are doing performance tests.  gnome/kde and
> OO are the biggest problems here - OO can take 8 hours on a p4-2.2Mhz.
> So to get ahead on this I can pre-build the binary packages - can you
> let me know the machine hardware and software specs?  Gentoo has a
> binary install mode where you can compile packages on another machine
> with the wanted options, and then if the new install finds a pre-built
> package for one it wants to compile, it will an unpack and install that
> instead.

I'll get Scott to get in touch with you as soon as he knows..

> Things that need pining down on the software side are what packages, and
> what configuration.  For an apples to apples comparison, things like
> filesystem types, partitioning, services running during tests need
> laying down. You dont want something like ext 3 trying to compete with a
> reiserfs -notail on OO startup and so on.  Other items to consider are
> gentoo's ccache and distcc options which would come under "unfair
> advantage" - we would need to see whats appropriate and configure
> accordingly!

Well, for the purposes of this test I think it's certainly fair to
turn off the distcc option as we're looking at single workstation
scenarios overall.

ccache I'm not so sure about, I guess if we do some compile tests
we should probably think about doing with it off and then with it on.

I'm interested in the results without because we'd be using the
compilations as a test of the optimizations in already compiled stuff,
rather than purely "who has things best organized for compiling."

I guess I'd propose ext3 as the file type (although I'm a reiser user myself)
as it seems to be the current epitomy of "bog standard."
I guess all 3 distros have the chioce of both in install?

Everyone please comment on this, as well as KDE/Gnome preference,
suggestions for services running for the test and partitioning.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Messrs. Blackham, Breeds and Brooks in particular,
the "Killer B's" of the PLUG committee have been unusually silent so far.

Indy.

--
Indranath Neogy
<indy at the-tech.mit.edu>