[plug] Customising Knoppix for students

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Jul 6 07:52:53 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 01:44, John Clayton wrote:
> Greetings pluggers. I am doing some research on customising knoppix for use
> in a primary school environment. What I would like is a version of knoppix
> or something similar that when booted up will give the user read access only
> no matter what they do while knoppix is running. I am wanting a fool proof
> and kid proof solution. I have had thoughts of using the NSA's Security
> Enhanced Linux within a knoppix distribution to make sure that root cannot
> do anything of any permanent nature to the computer it is being used on. Do
> any of you have any thoughts about this? I am hoping that the NSA at least
> would be able to survive the depredations of little kids "Mercury Rising"
> not withstanding :o)

Why so complicated?

Just run Knoppix off the CD, a reboot fixes everything. It's
bullet-proof, and handles power-off very gracefully.

If you need to provide the student with space to store data, give them
access to a server.

Use the hard-disk as a scratch area.

You could actaully put the knoppix image onto the harddisk, still
compressed and read-only in its own partition, which would speed up the
boot process.

Did I misunderstand what you're asking for?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..