[plug] Lyx - any users out there?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Jul 7 08:34:18 WST 2003

Hi all,

After banging my head against a brick wall over the last week, I'm about
to admit defeat. I authored a document in Word. It has many "Paste as
Link" items in the document (all internal - references to section names
etc.), as well as a number of calculation.

Importing into oO.o just gave me more headaches because the "Paste as
Link" only shows the first line of the link, not the whole block of
text.

I came across Lyx and *love* it, now I can finally author a document and
worry about the layout afterwards. (I used Word for exactly this reason,
the whole document was written in outline-mode with no formatting.)

So in Lyx, how do I reuse bits of text throughout the document without
copy-paste and subsequent need to edit in multiple places?

Example:
1. Intro
	in this document we identify the following parts:
	* peter
	* paul
	* mary

1.1	peter
	This section...

1.2	paul
	as a relative...

1.3	mary

etc.

So the list has items that are names of sections, in Word you can paste
the names as a link, so if you edit the name of section 1.3 to john, the
text changes there, but also in the list.

I use this to repeat specifications in appropriate places.

All I can see in Lyx is to point to bits as a reference, but all that
does is add section numbers or page numbers, not the actual text.

With no success I've searched with google for:
	lyx, latex, copy, duplicate, reuse, link, paste as link, reference,
paragraph, text

Any ideas?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..