[plug] Lyx - any users out there?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Jul 7 10:01:44 WST 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 08:34:18AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I came across Lyx and *love* it, now I can finally author a document and
> worry about the layout afterwards. (I used Word for exactly this reason,
> the whole document was written in outline-mode with no formatting.)
>
> So in Lyx, how do I reuse bits of text throughout the document without
> copy-paste and subsequent need to edit in multiple places?

One idea is to make each of these names into a latex command, and put
that in the document preamble.  eg in the preamble (Layout -> Document,
Preamble tab), type

  \newcommand{\Mary}{Mary Smith}

Then when you want to put "Mary Smith" in the document, go into TeX mode
(C-l) and type \Mary.  The TeX bits cut and paste properly, and can be
collapsed by clicking on the box so they don't look so ugly while you're
editing.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
It looks like blind screaming hedonism won out.