[plug] Re: No Subject

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 7 19:00:00 WST 2003

Hi,

Preamble: The PLUG mailing list archive has a particular reply that was
posted by Leon, but the original post is archived as "No Subject" with
no body (and no sender). So I am hereby replying to "nothing" :)

> > The most successful open-source movement prior to Linux was the
> > hacker movement
>
> That statement is without rational meaning. There was no "hacker
> movement".

It is clearly from another universe if the author was meaning "cracker"
when he/she said "hacker". However, if he/she actually mean "hacker",
isn't it quite an innocent remark? I mean, the X Window System and TeX
come to mind. Perhaps the author was so confused by the meaning of
"hacker" that he/she mixed up someone else's research with common
misconceptions?

> not exactly the kind of folks that corporate decision-makers
> want associated with their platform software

Maybe he/she needs to have a look at the sponsors of many open and free
projects! (And learn that the 70's existed!)

> Is open source mature yet?

Okay, he/she has no clue :)