[plug] re: server freezing

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 7 22:44:14 WST 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:15:33PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Jon  Miller wrote:
> > Just did a line-by-line look at dmesg and saw something that I find
> interesting, instead of stating it found 2 CPU processors it's actually
> saying found 4 processors.  There are only 2 Xeon processors.

> Seriously, as Craig said, it would be unlikely to be hardware, but
> I'd like to contribute one thing...  I have one of its smaller
> brothers, an x205 and the interesting thing with this one is its
> network card (chipset) which is by Broadcom.   Fine chipset but
> has obviously suffered a painful birth process.   ...

One of my customers has been running a dual-Xeon x235 for a couple
of weeks now... SuSE Linux 8.2 with kernel 2.4.20 (IIRC) using the
64GB memory model. They have 6GB installed. No problem of freezing;
just an odd slowing of disk IO over a couple of days.

> Oh, the other thought on this class of IBM boxes is their use of a snazzy
> system health check - SmartPath, LightPath or somesuch they call it.
> Supposed to report problems courtesy of some LEDs internal to the box,
> right down to fan failures, etc, etc.   Presume that's another "been
> there, done that" exercise. :-(

IBM have a package called "Director" that may help... contains the
"latest" drivers for Linux as well as access to on-board sensors. I
haven't tried that because something similar comes bundled with
SuSE.

IBM's Director is intended for Redhat... supplied free on request.