[plug] cucipop mail splitting and other oddities

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Jul 8 10:39:17 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 10:14, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:48:06AM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> > This is just some info incase anyone else sees these problems in the
> > future.
> >
> > I've been using cucipop (Cubic Circle's POP3 server) for years without
> > incident.  Recently on the sendmail servers at work it has been
> > 'splitting' emails.  It mostly affected *some* emails from IDG news
> > mailing lists and the occasional regular email and would show up as two
> > messages in email clients.  The first with complete and correct headers
> > and the first few lines of the messages and then another with NO headers
> > (totally blank list entry) containing the rest of the message.  I blamed
> > evolution at first, then others noticed it in Outlook.
>
> Was it splitting email at lines starting with 'From '?  There's a
> sendmail switch somewhere to turn on From_ quoting.

I was thinking of that and blaming sendmail too, but the emails didn't
have any such things that I could see, although i'd execpt exactly the
outcome I got if that is indeed what it was doing.  I think from past
investigations that sendmail and exim  indent non-header "^From" lines
with a single space, but who is to say they correctly determine what is
not a header?

Unfortunately I was unable to catch a suspect email in the mail spools
to examine it as it was happening very randomly and I have other things
to do :)

Ryan