SpamAssassin oddities (was: Re: [plug] cucipop mail splitting and other oddities)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Jul 8 11:39:03 WST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:48:06AM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> without incident.  Recently on the sendmail servers at work it has
> been 'splitting' emails.  It mostly affected *some* emails from
> IDG news mailing lists and the occasional regular email and would
> show up as two messages in email clients.  The first with complete
> and correct headers and the first few lines of the messages and
> then another with NO headers (totally blank list entry) containing
> the rest of the message.  I blamed evolution at first, then others
> noticed it in Outlook.

I ran into a strange bug the other day which apparently popped up
after SpamAssassin had been installed (combined with exim). Before
SpamAssassin was installed, all attachments came through fine.

After installing SpamAssassin, the email client used (Symantec ACT!
IIRC) would refuse to display attachments if they were inlined (even
on clean messages), but attached attachments[1] worked fine.

All spamassassin did was add its 2c of headers saying "Nope, not
spam". I ended up recommending an upgrade of the email client in
question, but has anybody else observed this kind of behaviour from
SpamAssassin?

Regards,

Bernard.

[1] Referring to the 'Content-Disposition' flag of MIME messages
where the options are 'attachment' or 'inline'.

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham dot com dot au