[plug] Where is it - AT

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 9 14:11:54 WST 2003

> Thanks craig some handy commands and yes its definatly gotten lost

Hmm... that's very unusual. I'd suggest a running an "rpm -Va 2>&1 | tee
/tmp/rpm_out" and looking over the output to see what else might've gone
missing. It is interesting that the permissions ([M]ode) on
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atd are different to how it was installed, too.

If you're game, consider booting off a rescue CD and doing a forced
check of your root filesystem. To do this, run 'fsck -f -n /dev/xxxx'
where xxxx is the device, eg hda1 or sda5, that your root filesystem
lives on. You can usually discover this by running "mount" and looking
for a line like:

/dev/sda1 on / type reiserfs (rw)

This will do a READ ONLY check. If it finds a lot of problems, you may
have a corrupt filesystem - though it normally takes a lot to bring that
about, it can happen. Letting fsck try to fix it will usually work, but
can result in the loss of entire directory trees since it tries to 'fix'
the filesystem however it has to. Filesystem corruption is one of the
few areas where I'm inclined to say "just back up your data and settings
then reinstall".

I've never seen problems like this caused purely by software problems
except in pre-alpha development kernels - and rarely even then (OK, so I
hardly ever use them, but that's the only time I've had the kernel eat
data).

If you encounter futher crashes or problems, you might be facing a
hardware issue like CPU overheating, incompatable RAM or a failing hard
disk. Or a weird problem the kernel has with some aspect of your
hardware that's causing it to spaz, but I've never seen it before.

Craig Ringer