[plug] good mail server?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 10 07:14:04 WST 2003

Courier-imap has a few weirdies: occasionally I get some control
characters in an email that seem to throw it.  unicode stuff in the
email address or header etc.  The mail client (evo, squirrelmail and
pine tried) then cannot read, delete or otherwise manipulate what is in
the mail queue until it is identified (difficult in a large mailbox) and
removed.  Hasnt occurred for a few months now, so might have been fixed,
but it happens very occasionally for asian or eastern euro emails in
particular.

Doesnt play nice with multiple evolution connections as the same user
(deletions in one do not show as deleted in another).  I read and delete
a 100 emails at work, come home and fire up evo there and they all show
as unread.  You end up emptying trash all the time ... Perversely,
outlook works fine ... evo's interaction with courier-imap is the
problem here - also, uw-imap didnt have this problem.

uw-imap didnt like multiple connections at the same time: seemed to be
single threaded.  Evolution logged in and grabbed the connection (bad
design imho), so biff clients then couldnt get the mail count until
evolution was shut down.  Had so much hassel, moved to courier-imap soon
after - dont know if this has changed.

Gentoo offers cyrus-imap, and a vimap server, but I havent tried them
yet.

billk