[plug] Distro Day !!!

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jul 10 10:37:18 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:29:25AM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:

| >Good thought, and fairly easy to include...
| >Although I uspect not many distros even attempt
| >to optimise boot time, should be interesting jsut to see.
|
| I doubt that it's very useful - one of Linux's boasts is that you hardly
| ever have to reboot. If you reboot once a week, it hardly matters whether
| it takes 1 minute or 5 minutes. Just my $0.02.

I suspect you're right..  My machine is normally switched off at night
unless it has anything to occupy itself with in the small hours of the
morning, and when I switch it on in the morning I leave it while I grab
a coffee or breakfast or whatever.

Still, Microsoft seems to have done a pretty good job of getting XP's
boot time down to a good approximation of "bugger-all", and since it's
such a simple test to do it seems worth including if only for curiosity
value.  (Of course, one may argue that XP's uptime often isn't much
longer than its boot-up time. *grin*)

Cameron.