[plug] client-server e-mail query system?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 11:02:29 WST 2003

> I'd like to search for, retrieve and display only
> selected e-mails from a large mail spool rather than
> use a more conventional IMAP+browser or MTA+text
> client like pine, elm, ...   I'd like to do this
> over a low bandwidth link.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned grepmail
(http://grepmail.sourceforge.net/), with the
gtkgrepmail frontend (both in Debian) written by our
very own JMalcolm, who must not be reading this thread
;)

Only thing is, I don't know if it satisfies the "low
bandwidth" requirement (I don't use it). Certainly
whenever said list member uses it, the loadavg on the
mail server goes up significantly, so I should think
it's searching locally.

HTH
Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett