[plug] client-server e-mail query system?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 11:17:34 WST 2003

In message <20030710030229.18354.qmail at web40704.mail.yahoo.com>
on Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:02:29PM +1000, Andrew Furey wrote:
> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned grepmail

(I didn't know about grepmail, I just use grep/less/mutt to do my
searching.) If Denis is using an mbox spool, and he has his thousands of
archives messages also in mboxes, can grepmail return something that he
can concatenate to the end of his mbox spool? (So that he can then
"check messages" using his GUI client and receive the results.) I
suppose it wouldn't be "low bandwidth" if there were many many matching
results. But presumably it would be easy enough to "summarise" the
grepmail output by printing headers judiciously, thus providing an
opportunity for perusal prior to adding the messages to his spool.