boot times and software suspend (Was: Re: [plug] Distro Day !!!)

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu Jul 10 13:14:05 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 12:02, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> There are _millions_ of computers around the place that can benefit
> from power-saving measures because they simply aren't doing much
> most of the time. It's simply nice if you don't have to use all that
> electricity; not least of all because of the cost.
>
> If their only purpose is to provide a base-load for power stations
> at off-peak times, then a string of incandescent light globes does a
> much better job, at lower capital cost.

Monetory cost is not the only consideration when looking at enabling
power saving features in computers, you also need to look at the
enviromental cost. With many power stations using fossil fuels to
generate power each unit of electricity produced has a direct impact on
the enviroment in terms of greenhouse gas emissions. When I was working
up North at a power station run by a large iron ore company I was told
that just by enabling power save functions on the monitors of computers
for the plant alone the power station would produce 300 cubic meteres
less greenhouse gases in a year.

Now we just need to work out some way of resurrecting all those old
computers that are to slow to run M$ on them and probaly heading to land
fill ready to leach dangerous chemicals into our ground water. :-)

Michael Hunt