boot times and software suspend (Was: Re: [plug] Distro Day !!!)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 10 12:02:56 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:52:45AM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:41:32AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > That's one of the advantages of the Intel desktop boards -
> > stupidly fast POST, usually faster than the monitor can come out
> > of standby. Unless you have a SCSI atapter :-( . My AMD based
> > machine with an Adaptec SCSI card takes /forever/ to get through
> > POST.

> Oh, there's a few things that won't work with swsusp at the moment -
> SCSI drives, SMP, and the occasional nvidia chipset/driver. (But
> seriously, who's laptops have SCSI or SMP? :)

Yes; I can see the smiley.

There are _millions_ of computers around the place that can benefit
from power-saving measures because they simply aren't doing much
most of the time. It's simply nice if you don't have to use all that
electricity; not least of all because of the cost.

If their only purpose is to provide a base-load for power stations
at off-peak times, then a string of incandescent light globes does a
much better job, at lower capital cost.