[plug] making xfree86 4.3 deb file for sarge

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Jul 11 09:01:01 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 16:42, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:35:13PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> |
> | It doesn't have all the build dependencies for the package. Running
> | 'apt-get build-dep xfree86' should download all the required
> | dependencies, after which you can run the "Build command" listed
> | above again. Be warned it could take all day at least :)
> |

> And if you find yourself starting to enjoy this kind of thing you
could
> consider switching to a source distribution like Gentoo where you get
> build /every/ package from source. (-:
>
> Cameron.

Thanks for the responses Matt, Scott, Bernard, Cameron & all.
I found the woody sources didn't work on my sarge and the build-dep
bombed because of unmet dependencies. I had messed with it a fair bit by
then so it may be something else I did that caused the problem.

I'm keen to have a bash at building debian packages from source one ucc
workshop night and in the meantime I look forward to seeing the Gentoo
at distro day.

Cheers,
Daniel
ps for a '5 minute solution' I installed Knoppix (06june). It still felt
a bit like cheating as it was so easy.