[plug] Optimized Distro

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Jul 15 12:01:08 WST 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:53:50AM +0800, Weirdo wrote:
| I have just compiled my kernel, optimized for my Celeron 466 on a Debian r0
| system. I know that Debian packages are compiled so that they will run on a
| 386 up. I like the Gentoo approach of compiling every thing so that it is
| optimized. I don't know how it resolves dependences though.

Gentoo's emerge works in much the same way as apt in Debian, only it
doesn't check for dependencies on uninstall so's to make hosing your
system easier :)

| I don't know if this can be done with
| Debian considering I am on 56k.

apt-build sounds like what you want.  (apt-get install apt-build and
read the instructions :-P)  I managed to install Gentoo over a 56k
connection so I'm sure you can do the same with Debian source packages.

Cameron.