[plug] Sending mail from command line

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 15 17:25:21 WST 2003

In message <00a201c34ab1$c7668f40$0400a8c0 at trendwhore>
on Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:16:23PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> Ah, good point. Yeh, when I invoked it the second time I used /sbin/ifconfig
> and still to no avail.

When you run `ifconfig | grep P-t-P` interactively, you presumably get
what you want? Does `echo "Hello" | mail...` give you a sensible
response?

> Also, how would the firewall limit the output from ifconfig?

On a hunch, I presume Linux does not apply any default security
constraints to the output of ifconfig (in some environments you
need to be the superuser or have rights assigned for full access).