[plug] mozilla custom settings

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 17 15:52:02 WST 2003

Hi all

I've just gone through and customised mozilla's default prefs a bit to
be more secure and useful for multi-user setups. I thought perhaps some
folks on PLUG would be interested.

Basically, in the $MOZ_INSTALL_DIR/default/pref directory (often
/usr/local/mozilla/default/pref or /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/default/pref)
you'll need to modify some files to change the defaults. I tried
creating a new file in there called, say, 'zoverride.js' and it was read
but not in the expected order, so the original files overrode the
changes. *sigh*.

You'll need to edit all.js for most changes, and mailnews.js for the
rest. These are my settings for the POST but similar might be handy for
others.

all.js:

// enable auto image resizing by default
pref("browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing", true);
// use google not netscape search
pref("browser.search.defaultengine",
"engine:///usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/searchplugins/google.src");
// don't open that darn sidebar whenever I search
pref("browser.search.opensidebarsearchpanel", false);
// tabs :-)
pref("browser.tabs.loadInBackground", true);
pref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick", true);
pref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.urlbar", true);
// disable popups and a few other JS nasties
pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);
pref("dom.disable_window_flip", true);
pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.status", true);

mailnews.js:
// DO NOT use plugins in mailnews - security+privacy
pref("mailnews.message_display.allow.plugins", false);
// ditto remote images. They're 99% spam anyway.
pref("mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image", true);
// no, do NOT compose HTML mail.
pref("mail.identity.default.compose_html", false);