[plug] proftpd and anonymous login

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jul 20 22:26:14 WST 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:16:37PM +0800, Craig Dyke wrote:

| Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my ftp server that it won't
| allow anonymous connections?

It's probably been set up to not allow them.  On Debian,
dpkg-reconfigure proftpd will do the trick.  Otherwise you need to edit
/etc/proftpd.conf - from the bottom of mine:

<Anonymous ~ftp>
  User                          ftp
  Group                         nogroup
  # We want clients to be able to login with "anonymous" as well as
  # "ftp"
  UserAlias                     anonymous ftp

  RequireValidShell             off

  # Limit the maximum number of anonymous logins
  MaxClients                    10

  # We want 'welcome.msg' displayed at login, and '.message' displayed
  # in each newly chdired directory.
  DisplayLogin                  welcome.msg
  DisplayFirstChdir             .message

  # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot
  <Directory *>
    <Limit WRITE>
      DenyAll
    </Limit>
  </Directory>

</Anonymous>

Then of course you need to set up user ftp and so on, if it isn't
already.

HTH,

Cameron.