[plug] proftpd and anonymous login

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jul 20 23:31:13 WST 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:23:53PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
| >root at Coven:/home/grail# id ftp
| >uid=103(ftp) gid=103(ftp) groups=103(ftp)
| >
| >no home directory but I am putting people elsewhere.
| >Does it need to exist?
|
| I've hardly ever used anon FTP, so I'm not really sure. Try the ProFTPd
| manual.

As I understand it, proftpd chroot()s itself to the home directory of
the "ftp" user (e.g. /home/ftp) when you log in as anonymous as a
security measure, which means that the home dir has to exist, and
everything you're putting up for anon FTP has to be in that directory -
in particular, symlinks to places outside won't work.

Cameron.