[plug] Leaving list

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Mon Jul 21 09:40:15 WST 2003

DSL is only available for 3.5 km I think.  We are about 18 km from a
RIM that probably will never have DSL equipment fitted to it.

The thing that really pisses you off is that we can get ~20 kbps
connect speed, and should be able to put through about 2000 bytes per
second.  In fact we get about 300 bytes per sec when it's running,
and probably 70% of the time there is no traffic at all, like 30 sec
to 1 minute with no TxD or RxD activity and 0 bytes in pppstats.  Is
that because the modem is getting errors (do analog packets with
errors show up as flashes on the TxD/RxD LEDs?) or is it that Telstra
or Westnet are ignoring our traffic for that time?  How do we tell?
I could buy a Maestro Woomera modem for $320 that has an LCD showing
line stats, but is it my fault that the service is useless?

K.