[plug] Finding out names of tables in postgresql

David Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Mon Jul 21 10:26:12 WST 2003

Hi all,

I have a postgresql database that I created ages ago called firstdb.  I am
currently using it as an aid to teaching myself how to use jdbc with java.

I have logged into the database with the following command:

psql firstdb buddrid

However, I can only recall the name of one table.

In oracle you are able to select records from a  certain system table that
will tell you all the tables you have in your database.  Does such an
equivilent table exist in postgresql and does anyone know what it is called?

I would like to perform a command like:

select name from some_system_table;

in order to get a list of the table names in my database.

thanks heaps

David.