[plug] Leaving list

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Jul 21 10:36:32 WST 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:40:15AM +0800, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
> DSL is only available for 3.5 km I think.  We are about 18 km from a
> RIM that probably will never have DSL equipment fitted to it.
>
> The thing that really pisses you off is that we can get ~20 kbps
> connect speed, and should be able to put through about 2000 bytes per
> second.  In fact we get about 300 bytes per sec when it's running,
> and probably 70% of the time there is no traffic at all, like 30 sec
> to 1 minute with no TxD or RxD activity and 0 bytes in pppstats.  Is
> that because the modem is getting errors (do analog packets with
> errors show up as flashes on the TxD/RxD LEDs?)

Yes.

I've seen the same sort of problem with a machine that drops packets
during disk activity.  The ide interface interrupts block the serial
port interrupts, leading to dropped characters and dropped packets.

You could try using hdparm to set your ide interface parameters.  The -u
(interrupt-mask) and -d (using_dma) flags are the most useful here.  Be
sure to read the warnings about these options in the man page.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
"Faith:  not *wanting* to know what is true."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche