[plug] OpenOffice.org to the rescue

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 21 18:57:33 WST 2003

> I still have them telling me OpenOffice.org can't be much good because you get
> what you pay for but perhaps it will be in a softer voice from now on.

Heh. OO.o does have it's limitations but it's an awfully handy app
indeed, and I'd say you get (unsurprisingly) infinitely more than you
pay for. I'm getting good results at work, especially with 1.1rc1 -
which we're now using in production.

The splash screen doesn't get time to fully display before the main
window loads :-) . This is to the point where I'd like to be able to
turn off the splash screen so I can eliminate the annoying flash.

I'm still having issues with complex word documents, seems to be things
involving absolutely positioned text and graphics areas (because of
COURSE word is a good desktop publishing program...) overlapping has
issues, as if OO.o isn't fully decoding the layering information. I'll
be sending sample docs to the friendly OO.o folks shortly. I had a nice
bundle of docs all ready to go, but when I opened them up in Word Viewer
97 it couldn't handle half of them as well as OO.o could. Some were OK
in Word 2000, some where either just stuffed or needed Office XP. I
can't complain when OO.o handles a doc format better than MS's viewer
for the format!

I'm also watching the glow project (OO.o groupware) and OGo pretty
closely....

Craig Ringer