[plug] OpenOffice.org to the rescue

J Michael Gilks mike at gilks1.com
Mon Jul 21 18:05:35 WST 2003

Just recovered a report for a guy at work.
55 pages, lots of graphics, he just spent 15 hours over the weekend finishing
it off, then burnt it to CD to bring in to work.
When it wouldn't open from the CD he figured it was a coffee coaster and tried
to open it from the hard disk. Disaster, whole lot of binary rubbish and
oriental fonts.
After the boss spent 4 hours trying to recover the file on all the different
windows and metaframe machines we have in the officethey remembered "Oh yeah
Mike's got this office suite he reckons is all right, maybe he could have a
go".
I took the CD home, started OpenOffice.org and opened the file. Saved it onto
my hard drive and emailed it back to him.
Elapsed time 5 minutes.
I still have them telling me OpenOffice.org can't be much good because you get
what you pay for but perhaps it will be in a softer voice from now on.
PS the best way to have an office suite in an office with 30 Linux
workstations is to have them access Microsoft Office through a five license
Metaframe server :)

Just my fun for the day.

Love
Mike.