[plug] failing adsl connection

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 19:01:11 WST 2003

> Strange... are you sure it isn't a DSL-500? Or have the newer DSL-300s
> got an internal PPPoE client in them?

Presumably the latter. It's definitely a DSL-300, supplied by iinet (and
running their firmware as I understand it). It presents a web interface on
port 80 for its configuration, and once you've set it up you use a DHCP
client to query an IP address from it. It goes off to the ISP and fetches an
IP address which is what it returns to the host machine. The host machine
then sets that address as the gateway and everything works.

It was extremely simple to set up, and doesn't use ppp to talk to its host
machine, which is why I was puzzled by the original poster's talk about ppp
problems.

--
> eatapple
core dump