[plug] failing adsl connection

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 21 18:51:40 WST 2003

> I use a DSL-300 from a SuSE box and am somewhat puzzled by the 'ppp'
> references. I'm not sure how you've got it configured, but mine doesn't use
> ppp. Well, actually it does, but only internally. I makes itself visible to
> the host machine as an ethernet device which I set as my gateway. I don't run
> ppp - there's no need to.
>
> Is this ppp thing a red herring, or do you have a different version of the
> modem to me?

Strange... are you sure it isn't a DSL-500? Or have the newer DSL-300s
got an internal PPPoE client in them?

Anyway, the older DSL-300s at least don't have an internal PPPoE client,
so while they're connected to an ethernet interface, the real work is
done using PPPoE and the 'net connection appears to the host as a PPP
interface.

Maybe if your DSL-300 is a newer model it has an internal PPPoE client
so it's acting as a simple router rather than a dumb DSL/ATM-to-ethernet
bridge like the older ones?

Craig Ringer