[plug] HD S.M.A.R.T monitoring under Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 22 02:14:05 WST 2003

> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> Anyone tried these or others?

I've used this tool, and the older version built into most distros
('smartctl' and 'smartd'). They work very well indeed, at least at
spotting failing Western Digital drives - *sigh*.

Seriously, the're pretty good. I've only really used them for confirming
the dying status of already suspect drives, but they can tell you a lot
about what's wrong and sometimes help you spot failing drives. Handy.

There's no point talking to most disk manufacturers about the data
though. You'll get the endless litany 'download our drive tools
from....'. Yay. <rant> OK for those manufacturers who have drive tools
that DO something, but CERTAIN manufacturer's drive tools don't do much
of anything and fail to spot issues with a drive that has 480 bad
sectors. Problem repaired my ass - there were more bad sectors when the
tools run finished than when it started (as reported by SMART) and the
number kept on growing and eating data after the drive was 'repaired'.
</rant>

Smartctl is immensely handy, and should be the familiar tool of anybody
working on machines without RAID.

Craig Ringer