[plug] HD S.M.A.R.T monitoring under Linux

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Jul 22 10:33:40 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 02:14, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Anyone tried these or others?
>
> I've used this tool, and the older version built into most distros
> ('smartctl' and 'smartd'). They work very well indeed, at least at
> spotting failing Western Digital drives - *sigh*.
>
> Seriously, the're pretty good. I've only really used them for confirming
> the dying status of already suspect drives, but they can tell you a lot
> about what's wrong and sometimes help you spot failing drives. Handy.

Do you often have drives fail while they are still under warranty?

> There's no point talking to most disk manufacturers about the data
> though. You'll get the endless litany 'download our drive tools
> from....'. Yay.

What about RA? I'm not sure how often I actually speak to the
manufacturer but I know what you mean if some hardware fails they expect
you to be testing it with Windows.

<rant> OK for those manufacturers who have drive tools
> that DO something, but CERTAIN manufacturer's drive tools don't do much
> of anything and fail to spot issues with a drive that has 480 bad
> sectors. Problem repaired my ass - there were more bad sectors when the
> tools run finished than when it started (as reported by SMART) and the
> number kept on growing and eating data after the drive was 'repaired'.
> </rant>

What is the IBM/ Hitatchi util like?

> Smartctl is immensely handy, and should be the familiar tool of anybody
> working on machines without RAID.

Thanks for the reply.
> Craig Ringer

I can see some good applications for it including rigging it up with
Nagios for server monitoring and adding it to Knoppix (if it isn't
already) to diagnose desktops.

I recently had a customers HD crash on my while I was in the middle of
diagnosing their machine so now I check the S.M.A.R.T readings before I
do anything.

Once bitten twice as careful.

regards,

Chris