[plug] Realtek NIC and SuSE

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Tue Jul 22 11:13:59 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 22/07/2003 11:09 AM
-----

                      Ben Jensz
                      <plug at jensz.id.au        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      >                        cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] Realtek NIC and SuSE
                      22/07/2003 10:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Richard Meyer wrote:

>>2) When Linux starts up, it gives a brief description of the CPU it's
>>running on and the clockspeed. It says Athlon 1800+ running at 1500 MHz.
>>Any ideas how I can get my full 2400+ speed out of this machine? I've
>>studied the motherboard manual, and there is one switch, but it only
talks
>>about FSB speed there.
>>
>>Any ideas gratefully accepted.
>
>>Regards
>>RichardM
>

>Yep, thats what it'll be.  Its obviously set to the lower Front-Side Bus
>(FSB) by default (i.e. 100Mhz), so you need to set it to the higher FSB
>of 133Mhz in BIOS.

>It'll have a locked multiplier of 15 on that CPU to achieve the 133Mhz
>FSB x 15 = 2Ghz (which is what the 2400+ is), hence because the FSB is
>only set to 100Mhz, its only running at 1.5Ghz (1800+ speed).

>HTH :)

Thanks. I'll try that. At one stage I used to know this sorta thing from
reading PC Mag, where they used to explain all this sort of stuff pretty
well. I got a bit disenchanted with them when I noticed that from the
coverage they gave to software, they could've been a subsidiary of a large
software company based in the NW of the USA. None of the other mags seem to
explain hardware as well as they did, though.

RichardM