[plug] Inetd complaining for no good reason

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 08:21:36 WST 2003

In message <20030722144910.GA18457 at erdos.home>
on Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:49:10PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Evenin' Plug,
>
> I'm seeing some odd messages in the syslog on my gateway at home from
> inetd, complaining about not being able to bind to the telnet or smtp
> ports.  Despite this telnet and smtp are working fine, and netstat shows

Relevant snippets from your /etc/inetd.conf appeared to be missing from
your e-mail ;-P Do the messages appear at timed intervals (or
continually), or are they correlated to connection events? I imagine
it's the former. If so, one possible explanation is that inetd.pid is
missing from your system and a cron job is trying to restart inetd.