[plug] Inetd complaining for no good reason

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jul 23 17:40:06 WST 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:21:36AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| Relevant snippets from your /etc/inetd.conf appeared to be missing from
| your e-mail ;-P

Ahhh yes.  Here they are...

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.
telnet          stream  tcp6    nowait  telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
telnet          stream  tcp4    nowait  telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp            stream  tcp6    nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs
smtp            stream  tcp4    nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

Hmmm... could it be something IPv6-related?

| Do the messages appear at timed intervals (or
| continually), or are they correlated to connection events? I imagine
| it's the former.

Yes, it's the former.  Every ten minutes, give or take a second here and
there.

| If so, one possible explanation is that inetd.pid is
| missing from your system and a cron job is trying to restart inetd.

/var/run/inetd.pid is present and contains the correct pid.
And re. what Craig mentioned - only one inetd is running:

$ ps ax | grep inetd
 7350 ?        S      0:03 /usr/sbin/inetd
10924 pts/1    S      0:00 grep inetd

- but two copies are installed:

$ dpkg -l | grep inetd
ii  netkit-inetd   0.10-9         The Internet Superserver
ii  openbsd-inetd  0.20020802-1   The OpenBSD Internet Superserver

I tried to purge one in case that was the problem but dpkg grizzled
about dependencies.

Cameron.