[plug] telnet server question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 23 17:47:27 WST 2003

> There is a huge number of ways of doing this. One of the easiest to play
> around with is tcp_wrappers (/etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny, see you
> local man pages). However, your daemons will need to have been compiled
> with tcp_wrappers support, unless you are going to run them through an
> inetd with a tcp_wrappers wrapper (!).

If you use xinetd, the considerably more modern replacement for inetd,
you'll get built-in support for tcp wrappers. You'll also get a smarter,
nicer inet superserver, so I'd reccomend it unless you have a reason to
avoid it.

sshd supports tcp_wrappers natively and doesn't need any wrappers. It
can be compiled without tcp_wrappers support, but this is unlikely.

Craig Ringer