[plug] telnet server question

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 24 08:25:09 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:38:10AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <3F1E918D.8080309 at postnewspapers.com.au>
> on Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:45:49PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > '/bin/false' users (usually daemons, etc) are unlikely to
> > log in normally anyway.

> Yes, my complaint doesn't lie with using /bin/false for daemons, since
> they don't have valid password. But for regular users, who have valid
> password but aren't allowed to have shell access, /bin/false is just
> weird. I would suggest porting OpenBSD's nologin (dibs! ;) which should
> be exceedingly easy since the function of the programme is so 'trivial'
> and it's probably in ANSI C. Like you say, a shell script would
> basically do.

SuSE already has that... so I guess it should be available for all.

NOLOGIN(8)                System Manager's Manual               NOLOGIN(8)

NAME
     nologin - politely refuse a login

SYNOPSIS
     nologin

DESCRIPTION
     nologin displays a message that an account is not available and exits
     non-zero.  It is intended as a replacement shell field for accounts that
     have been disabled.

     If the file /etc/nologin.txt exists, nologin displays its contents to the
     user instead of the default message.

SEE ALSO
     login(1)

HISTORY
     The nologin command appeared in 4.4BSD.

BSD                          February 15, 1997                         BSD

Part of package "util-linux-2.11n" on SuSE 8.0 which contains
essentials like "cal", "mount", "more", "adjtimex", ...