[plug] telnet server question

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 24 09:38:01 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:09:03AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <3F1F2B2B.60004 at postnewspapers.com.au>
> on Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:41:15AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > That said, I'd prefer a solution integrated into the login manager, so
> > that rather than starting a login session, if the user correctly
> > authenticates but has an invalid shell it displays a message.

> Like you said, it gives you more 'loggin in' that you really want.
> Sounds like you can like without it and would rather wait for
> something integrated into your login manager.

The nature of the login manager would have to change fundamentally;
from a binary behaviour to something rather more complex.

It'd have to be told about the nature of "nologin". Doing so
consistently requires standardisation or flexibility; or both.
I don't know if PAM has any outputs other than true/false which
would be of use.

> > Much cleaner than having the session appear to start, only to
> > pop up a message - and I'm also much happier not having the
> > user's X session begin AT ALL, just in case.
>
> Well...I would have imagined that you could start X without
> reading user config (and without running a window manager, of
> course) combined if you like with the use of a chrooted or setuid
> situation (making sure that the app has permission to use the
> relevant display) in order to get something working with any login
> method (i.e. any login manager or command-line login) before
> figuring out how to hack the login manager.
>
> Also, some window managers will display textual output at the
> login prompt...maybe yours is configured not to? I'm not really
> familiar with graphical login managers.

Problem is early termination; you get a login, some text displays
and the login manager re-appears.

Remember; you may not be sitting at the computer that's providing
the login manager or running the window manager.