[plug] SCO again

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 24 08:49:46 WST 2003

> Interesting,  having onced worked for an outfit that switched from Xenix
> to SCO Open Server Five and
> regretted it as a backward step  ( who are they again  SCO or Caldera
> what ever) they have amazing cheek.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Xenix was a much "cleaner" OS. You know, things
worked like you expected them to (or worked at all). If, however, you
want things like PCI support, RAID ( hence a PCI SCSI RAID adapter ),
more than 512mb of HDD space or more than 16mb of RAM, you just /must/
go to OpenServer. Xenix didn't support these things.

> I seem to remember our first lesson was on how to kill and restart the
> print server.

*grind* *grind* *grind*
An infuriatingly common task, that. Also, if you want to look at man
pages the command is:
'scohttp stop ; scohttp start ; man <command>'
because their NSCA-httpd-based manpage server is only a couple of orders
of magnitude more reliable than their print server.

That said, despite it's flaws (many, many flaws), OpenServer is capable
of addressing a tiny subset of modern hardware, and as such is really
the only choice for companies that still need Xenix applications. Like
us :-( though hopefully not for much longer. Ooohh... I'll enjoy
decomissioning the SCO box - it has a 3x9gig 10k RPM RAID 5 array in it
which makes a godawful amount of noise.

> At risk of being heretical I would like to test every ones memory.  When
> SCO did pass to Caldera?

Sorry, no idea.