[plug] SCO uptime display limit - non useful response

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Jul 25 08:33:47 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 08:21, Ryan wrote:
> From the dates on some of the processes I calculate it at 268 days
> uptime.  The nightly logs I get from backups stopped showing it
> correctly after 248 days.

That is because most administrators turn their workstations off at
night, so, unless an administrator stays up for 249 days, the computer
will never need to count that high - I mean, there is only room for two
or three big computers in this world and 640K should be enough.

Alternatively, you can hit the reset button on day 200, the counter will
revert back to 0, and you can carve a notch in the case to keep track of
the number of counter-resets - though to be fair, it would wreak havoc
with your uptime...

Smile, the world is too serious...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..