[plug] printing html files from the command line (a2ps??)

David Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Fri Jul 25 13:26:48 WST 2003

Hi all,

I have a bunch of html files that I want to print.  Rather than opening each
of them in turn with my web-browser and choosing File - Print, I'd like to
script it.  I have tried a2ps to see if I could use that to print html; in
which case it would be a fairly straightforward script to loop through each
html file and call a2ps on it.  If I use the a2ps command to print out a
.html file, will it print the html source, or will it print the display one
would see if you viewed the .html file with a web-browser?

However, in any case, I am having problems trying to print html with a2ps,
and further, I am not even sure if it is the right tool for the job.  Here
is what happens when  I try to print a html file with a2ps:

[buddrid at mit243linux ~/java/beans]$ a2ps Beans.html
netscape-communicator: root window has no children on display :0.0
[Beans.html (html, delegated to Netscape): failed.  Ignored]
[No output produced]
[buddrid at mit243linux ~/java/beans]$

Question 1: Is a2ps the right tool for the job; if so, does anyone know what
the problem described above means, and how to resolve it.

Question 2: If a2ps is not the right tool, can anyone suggest the command
line tool that would be appropriate to print off html?

thanks heaps in advance.

David.

Question 1:

Question 2: