[plug] [OT] IBM Hotswap SCSI HDDs

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Jul 28 09:47:58 WST 2003

*winds back the clock*

U160 I have, got a lot of them (4.3GB):

http://slowest.net/photos/IBM%20PC%20Server%20330/Picture_0119.jpg

... and a stack of spares.  All good. Nothing bad to report, no
failures.  That said though, the standard warning that goes along with
all more recent IBM hard drives still applies I'd say .. then again it
is hotswap and you WILL use RAID, so I guess it doesn't really matter if
they die every 5 minutes :P

That box is called 'wind-tunnel' due to the ridiculous amount of fanage
it has, 3 huge ones next to the hotswap cage ... so the drives are
pretty well looked after for heat, don't know about vibration with those
fans though ;)

Ryan