[plug] [OT] IBM Hotswap SCSI HDDs

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Mon Jul 28 10:07:08 WST 2003

Ryan wrote:

>*winds back the clock*
>
>U160 I have, got a lot of them (4.3GB):
>
>http://slowest.net/photos/IBM%20PC%20Server%20330/Picture_0119.jpg

Is that box of Kleenex there for when the server dies and you need
something to cry into? :)

>... and a stack of spares.  All good. Nothing bad to report, no
>failures.  That said though, the standard warning that goes along with
>all more recent IBM hard drives still applies I'd say .. then again it
>is hotswap and you WILL use RAID, so I guess it doesn't really matter if
>they die every 5 minutes :P

Yup, looking at 36.4Gb drives for system (RAID1) and data (RAID5).  I
know I won't need anywhere near 36.4Gb for the system, but it means I
only have to keep one size as a spare.  I was intending on only keeping
one spare drive, so I don't wanna be swapping drives every 5
minutes...thats why I'm asking as I really do not want to have the lack
of success rate I've had with IBM's IDE drives.  So really what I'm
asking is do the IBM SCSI drives suffer from the same problems as their
IDE drives do?

The drives will be going into an IBM x235 server.

>That box is called 'wind-tunnel' due to the ridiculous amount of fanage
>it has, 3 huge ones next to the hotswap cage ... so the drives are
>pretty well looked after for heat, don't know about vibration with those
>fans though ;)
>
>Ryan

Should've heard my Athlon 1600+ desktop box before my last upgrade... :P

/ Ben