[plug] [OT] IBM Hotswap SCSI HDDs

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Jul 28 10:16:42 WST 2003

> Is that box of Kleenex there for when the server dies and you need
> something to cry into? :)

I was wondering if anyone would notice that ;)

> Yup, looking at 36.4Gb drives for system (RAID1) and data (RAID5).  I
> know I won't need anywhere near 36.4Gb for the system, but it means I
> only have to keep one size as a spare.  I was intending on only keeping
> one spare drive, so I don't wanna be swapping drives every 5
> minutes...thats why I'm asking as I really do not want to have the lack
> of success rate I've had with IBM's IDE drives.  So really what I'm
> asking is do the IBM SCSI drives suffer from the same problems as their
> IDE drives do?

I've had a few IBM 18GB SCSI drives die, the current one has been going
fine for 18 months now - with some cooling assistance.  They all
(IDE/SCSI) make horrid noises at random times - it sounds like someone
is stepping on the heads and rubbing them across the platters .. they
all seem to work fine though.  *NEW* ones are exclusively Hitachi
manufactured I think, haven't heard anything either way about them.

Ryan